This is an outpatient procedure that usually takes 10 minutes per eye. The actual laser treatment usually takes a few seconds.
The Wavelight 500 Hz Laser that we use is one of the fastest safest laser eye treatments, treating one dioptre of power in about 1.3 seconds.
- First you will lie on the motorized bed.
- The eyes are anesthetized with eye drops only.
- The head is positioned under the laser.
- A soft clip keeps the eyelids gently and comfortably open during the treatment.
- You will be asked to look at a soothing green blinking light during the entire procedure.
During the treatment, an instrument called the microkeratome or femtosecond laser (bladeless LASIK) creates a corneal flap to make it a painless procedure. The computerized Wavelight 500 Hz Excimer laser uses a beam of light to gently reshape the cornea so as to alter its curvature to the desired extent. The flap when replaced on the new corneal curvature allows images to be sharply focused on the retina. The goal is to eliminate or greatly reduce the dependence on glasses or contact lenses.
A post – procedure eye examination is performed and eye drops are prescribed. There may be mild discomfort for a few hours after the procedure.
- An improvement in vision is noticed within 4-6 hours with restoration of functional vision by the next morning. However, complete recovery may take up to few weeks.
Patients can get back to work 2-3 days after treatment. For a few days after LASIK, patients may experience slight blurred vision.
- Reading and computer viewing are permitted from from2 nd day.
- We advise patient to avoid water contact for 2 weeks and wear protective glasses also for that duration
- Also water sports should be avoid for 3 months and can be done earlier with use of appropiate protective glass wear
- Patient may experience sometimes fluctuating and blurry vision which settles down with time as healing process improves